Re: [closed] pfps-08

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 22:27:57 -0500
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>Subject: [closed] pfps-08
>Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:28:44 -0500
>>  Peter,
>>  Re. your comment
>>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0087.html
>>  archived as pfps-08 at
>>  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#pfps-08
>>  The WG had earlier rejected this comment; but further to subsequent
>>  discussions, we have now decided to accept it:
>>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003May/0199.html
>>  Appropriate modifications have been made to the section on datatypes
>>  in the semantics document (section 3.4) , see
>>  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#dtype_interp
>>  of which the primary ones are that rdf:XMLLiteral is now required to
>>  be a genuine datatype in all datatyped D-interpretations, and the
>>  semantic conditions are stated in terms of the datatype itself rather
>>  than any particular URIref. The text now draws explicit attention to
>>  this:
>>  "The condition does not require that the URIref in the typed literal
>>  be the same as the associated       URIref of the datatype; this
>>  allows semantic extensions which can express identity conditions on
>>  URIrefs to draw appropriate conclusions. "
>>  We note that the WG has also decided to disallow language tags in all
>>  typed literals, including those typed with rdf:XMLLiteral, so that
>>  this case will follow exactly the same semantic conditions as other
>>  typed literals and will thereby support full equality reasoning on
>>  datatypes.
>>  Please reply to this message, CCing www-rdf-comments@w3.org, to
>>  indicate if this decision is acceptable.
>>  Pat Hayes
>I don't understand what is going on here.  You appear to be saying that
>rdf:XMLLiteral is now a datatype just like all other datatypes (except that
>it is hard-coded into RDF in terpretations).  However, in Section 3.1 of
>http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/ (dated 18 May
>2003) I still see wording to the effect that there is special meaning given
>to language tags for typed literals with datatype rdf:XMLLiteral.  I do not
>view this as a satisfactory state of affairs.

Yes, you still see that wording because we are still arguing slightly
about the *exact* way that XML literals will be described, and I do
not want to rewrite the document more times that I absolutely must.
Nevertheless, the decision to remove lang tags from XML typed
literals has been taken and will be implemented, as I said in my

If you prefer, we will wait for your response until the relevant
edits to the document have been completed. I will send you another
message to trigger this issue, with the same subject line.

IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam