Re: [closed] issue #pfps-10 untyped literals

>From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>Subject: [closed] issue #pfps-10 untyped literals
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:12:28 -0500
>
>>  Peter,
>>
>>  In
>>
>>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0085.html
>>
>>  you raised a last call comment on the RDFCore WD's which was recorded as:
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#pfps-10
>>
>>  The RDFCore WG has accepted your comment:
>>
>>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Apr/0361.html
>>
>>  and the current editor's draft of the semantics document
>>
>  > http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/
>>
>>  now requires that LV is exactly the class extension of I(rdf:Literal)
>>  in all RDFS interpretations, and the entailment you mention
>>  incorporated into the proof rules.
>>
>>  Please reply to this message, copying www-rdf-comments@w3.org,
>>  indicating whether this decision is acceptable.
>>
>>  Pat Hayes
>
>This message is somewhat better than the previous one, but it is still
>rather difficult to find out just what is going on here.  Pointing to the
>appropriate change(s) in the document would help somewhat.

The document begins with a table of changes made since last call,
with commentaries and links to the text. The text linked to this
issue reads as follows:

-----------
The treatment of literal values has been technically improved
somewhat.             This involves several changes to the text in
several places but in sum, the net effect is that the class
rdfs:Literal is now identified with the set of all literal values  in
all interpretations , and that the treatment of untyped literals is
now exactly aligned with typed literals .  In fact, it is possible to
think of untyped literals as typed with  a trivial 'invisible'
datatype in which the lexical and value spaces are identical and the
L2V mapping is the identity.[ This has been added as a comment here ;
this addition is   tentative and could be omitted; feedback welcomed
.]  These changes make the overall design of the semantics slightly
more  conventional and also more coherent. They also support
entailments  which members of the WG feel are correct, in particular
the RDFS entailment

aaa ppp "sss" .
-->
aaa ppp _:x .
_;x rdf:type rdfs:Literal .
---------

It is not practical, and I do not think it would be useful, to give a
detailed list of every textual change made as a result of this
comment.

The most important change was IEXT(I(rdfs:Literal)) now = LV , rather
than being a subset of LV
(http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#rdfs_interp)
; in addition, LV is now considered to be one of the domains defined
by an interpretation, instead of a 'global' domain; although there
are a number of conditions on LV in any interpretation. (The exact
description of the XML-related items in LV listed in the table in
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#interp is
known to be wrong, by the way, and will be corrected once the
treatment of XML literal values is stable.)

The entailment referred to above is now listed as closure rule rdfs1
in
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#rdfs_entail

There were a number of textual changes made, particularly in the
introductory material in section 1, to avoid giving what would now be
a misleading impression of the intuitive meaning of LV.

>Peter F. Patel-Schneider
>Bell Labs Researchout i
>Lucent Technologies
>
>PS: Many of my issues with the RDF semantics were known to the RDF Core
>Working Group before going into last call.

I believe it might be fair to say that they were not all fully
understood by the WG before last call, however.

>  In my opinion it would
>therefore be a very good idea to ensure that all issues with the RDF
>semantics and their resolutions have detailed documentation in
>www-rdf-comments.

I take it then (and because I know that you know the detailed answers
already) that your request to have things spelled out in these
messages is not in order to enable you to respond, but because of
your views on the proper procedures to be adopted by the RDF WG.

My understanding was, and is, that the purpose of these rather formal
messages is to put on public record the fact that your question has
been addressed, and your response to it. If you disagree with this, I
suggest that you raise that issue with the WG chair.  In the
meantime, however, I would be grateful for your reply to the actual
response, independently of your views on proper procedure.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam