Re: Issue #danc-04 add a triviallyTrue predicate

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo@agfa.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:01:04 +0200
To: "pat hayes <phayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: connolly@w3.org, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org, www-rdf-comments-request@w3.org

Pat, that works fine for me and I did some tests.
{:rdf0. ?P rdf:type rdf:TriviallyTrue} => {?S ?P ?O}.
:comment a rdf:TriviallyTrue.
<mailto:phayes@ai.uwf.edu> :comment "email address of a clever guy".

Hmm... do we need to detect inconsistencies
when someone asserts
rdfs:subClassOf a rdf:TriviallyTrue.
or some such?

-- ,

                    pat hayes
                    <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>         To:     Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, connolly@w3.org
                    Sent by:                    cc:     www-rdf-comments@w3.org
                    www-rdf-comments-requ       Subject:     Re: Issue #danc-04 add a triviallyTrue predicate

>Could you explain in a bit more detail what you're asking for?
>I'm having trouble understanding how an 'rdfs:triviallyTrue'
>predicate might work.
>>Consider adding to RDFS a triviallyTrue predicate;
>>    ?S rdfs:triviallyTrue ?O.
>>is true for all ?S and ?O.
>>(1) jeremy's digital signature application needs
>>to number bnodes
>>(2) folks are asking for all uses of rdfs:comment
>>to be vacuously true. This would provide that
>In particular, I don't yet understand how this would relate to
>the rdfs:comment concern. Is the idea that it should be
>impossible to assert something false with an rdfs:comment
>in the predicate role of a statement?
>(in which case, trivially true seems to be a class of

Good point. How about having TriviallyTrue be a class of properties?

?P rdf:type rdf:TriviallyTrue .

?S ?P ?O .

? The problem for Ian might be that this couldn't be an OWL-DL property.

But this is starting to seem kind of silly to me, to be honest.

IHMC                                                (850)434 8903 or
(650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.                                (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                                           (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501                                                 (850)291 0667
phayes@ai.uwf.edu                   http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam