Re: [closed] pfps-05 RDFS Closure Rules

>From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>Subject: [closed] pfps-05 RDFS Closure Rules
>Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:27:55 -0500
>
>>  Peter,
>>
>>  Re. your comment
>>
>>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0090.html
>>
>>  The editor has accepted your comment and the closure rules have been
>>  modified to cover this (and other ) cases, by incorporating
>>  existential generalization as an explicit closure rule.
>>
>>  Please reply to this email, copying www-rdf-comments@w3.org indicating
>>  whether this decision is acceptable.
>>
>>  Pat
>
>This decision is not acceptable.

>First, the semantic conditions for RDFS uses IC(rdfs:Container), which is
>ill-defined.  If this is changed to the meaningful ICEXT(rdfs:Container),

Contrary to my earlier response, that should be I(rdfs:Container). Sorry.

>Third, the closure rules are unable to infer any rdfs:domain or rdfs:range
>triples.  It thus appears to me that the RDFS closure procedure is still
>incomplete as it will not include triples of the form
>
>	rdf:_n rdfs:range xx .
>
>(for whatever xx is deemed to be appropriate).

To amplify my earlier response here, the RDFS semantic conditions on
domain and range only give necessary, not sufficient, conditions for
domain and range assertions to be true. Thus they do not sanction
entailments of any assertion of a domain or range beyond those
already asserted in an antecedent. The only inference path to such a
conclusion is by virtue of a subProperyOf assertion applied to the
domain or range properties.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam