[closed] tex-02 higher level matching rule for language tags

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:33:38 +0200
To: tex@i18nguy.com, www-rdf-comments@w3.org

Hi Tex

You raised an issue concerning comparing (lang="en", str) to get matches
with (lang="en-gb", str). We recorded that issue as:

  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#tex-02

Your email raising the issue:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0460.html
part 2)

The RDF Core WG has considered this issue

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Apr/0097.html

and:

We have added this to the postponed issues list.
We have also asked the co-ordination group to note that better support for
langauge related operations is needed.

We note that the equality function provided in RDF Concepts is intended as a
foundation for the semantics. This necessitates that is is as simple as
possible. It also requires an equivalence relationship (specifically one
that is symmetric).

A sketch solution to the language range problem that you raise is as
follows.
However, it is outside our current charter to consider it in detail.

For each language tag define two clases:
For example for language tag en-US define

<rdfs:Class rdf:about=
  "http://www.w3.org/example/lang#en-US" >
  <rdfs:comment>The class of all plain literals and XMLLiterals with
language tag en-US</rdfs:comment>
</rdfs:Class>
<rdfs:Class rdf:about=
  "http://www.w3.org/example/lang2#en-US" >
  <rdfs:comment>The class of all plain literals and XMLLiterals with
language tag which has en-US as a prefix</rdfs:comment>
</rdfs:Class>

Then a combination of rdf range constraints, and various OWL constructs, can
be used to query/search/describe language tagged literals within the
semantic web.

Please reply to this email, copying www-rdf-comments@w3.org indicating
whether this decision is acceptable.

Thanks again for your review of our documents.

Jeremy