Re: rdf:nodeID and external entities?

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:18:28 +0000
To: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
cc: www-rdf-comments <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

>>>Joshua Allen said:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Syntax-blank-nodes
>
> Spec does not seem to mention the impact that expansion of external
> entities would have on rdf:nodeID.  For example, if I have:
>
> File1.xml
> <rdf:Description rdf:nodeID="1">
> &extern;
> </rdf:Description>
>
> File2.xml
> <rdf:Description rdf:nodeID="1">
> </rdf:Description>
>
> I would expect that the two would _not_ resolve to the same blank node,
> even if &extern; was pointing to File2.xml.  In other words, I expected
> the spec to say something like:
>
> "values for rdf:nodeID are evaluated with respect to the baseURI
> property of their containing element"

An interesting point that hadn't come up beforex.  I certainly don't
want to depend on XML detail such as external entities, so it would
have to be expressed in terms of infoset infoitems, such as the
in-scope base URI.

We've been considering the blank node identifiers to be scoped to the
RDF graph but I guess we either have in-scope base URI (baseURI
accessor of element event), or use the outermost XML document element
to pick from.

Dave