Re: comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-rdf-schema-20021112/

>Brian & Pat
>I understand your examples. I think we are in agreement on
>principles, bit still slightly divergent on terminology.

Indeed, we seem to be.

>From my perspective, the post office & tax office are obviously two
>different contexts -- two different ways of viewing people.  I think
>in terms of dividing all people into disjoint groups, according to
>selected properties of the people.  In the first context, the
>property is defined by the post office; in the second context, the
>property is defined by the tax office.  The post office - tax office
>distinction is somewhat clouded by the fact that both properties are
>measures of physical location.

RDF (RDFS/DAML/OWL) does not have any notion of context, so your
distinctions here cannot be rendered in these languages. And I
confess to not understanding what it is that you mean by 'context'
here, so it is hard to translate your intended meaning into RDFS
terminology.

>You'll notice that I said "disjoint groups".  In a given context,
>overlapping groups constitute an "ambiguous" division.

I think that thinking of classes as 'divisions' is potentially
misleading. Subclasses of a given class need not constitute divisions
of it. That way of thinking is appropriate for a taxonomy or
classification tree, like the Dewey Decimal system, but not for
general-purpose class reasoning.

>  For example, recall my previous email where Jane Doe belongs to
>class "man" in Aristotle's context, but belongs to class "woman" in
>Ms. Feminist's context.

Like most set theories, RDFS requires you to get this clear. Things
either are in a class or they are not; there is no room for ambiguity
or prevarication on the question. If you insist on making assertions
which are only true in a context, and not true in others, then you
should  probably not use RDFS, since RDFS content, when published on
the Web, might be used in a very different context than the one for
which it was written.

>I do not say that a class "is" its members.  I say that a class
>"denotes" its members

That is not the sense of 'denotes' use in the RDF MT document.

>, or that the "meaning" of a class is its members, with all their
>properties.  But that's somewhat beside the point.  The crucial
>point is that the meaning of a class depends on context.

Not in RDFS.

>Context is prior knowledge -- viewed from a particular perspective,
>possibly characterized as a list of propositions.
>
>Back to the bottom line: defining "Class" in the rdf-schema document.
>1. I still say two different classes with the same members imply two
>different contexts.

Well, OK; you can of course say whatever you want; but that has no
meaning in RDFS. If you try to apply this rule consistently, you will
be forced to hypothesize rather a large number of contexts (o(2|n)
where n is the number of classes, in the worst case.)

>It's your decision how to describe it.
>2. I have one other question related to the definition of "Class".
>Is "Person" a subClassOf "Class", and "Dick McCullough" a
>member/individual of "Class"?

No.

>Or is "Person" a member/individual of "Class", and "Dick McCullough"
>unrelated to "Class"?

Right.

>In other words, what is the meaning of "Person"?

It is a class, containing people.

>And is there a difference between "Resource" and "Class"?

rdfs:Resource is a particular class, the largest one possible, the
class of everything, the universe. All classes are subclasses of it.
rdfs:Class is the class of classes. All classes are members of it.
They are not the same class because there are things in rdfs:Resource
that are not classes, such as Dick McCullough.

>You might add some words to the document to answer this question.

The MT does say all this quite explicitly. In an interpretation I, IR
is the universe, and IC , a subset of IR, is the set of classes.

Pat Hayes

>Dick McCullough
><http://rhm.cdepot.net/>knowledge := man do identify od existent done
>knowledge haspart list of proposition

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam