Re: XPointer

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:08:39 +0000
To: Roland Schwaenzl <Roland.Schwaenzl@mathematik.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE>
cc: roland@mathematik.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE, www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>>>Roland Schwaenzl said:
> What kind of retrieval action specifically is assumed in RDF Concepts 5.2
> (compare the NOTE in [RFC 3023, 7.]).

RDF (and concepts) has no retrieval action in the current round of
specifications - it is defining a language, with no processing model.

We have noted appendix C.2 of RDF M&S after you pointed it out:
 [[An RDF processor can expect to use the schema URI to access the
 schema content]]
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222/

which does somewhat refer to retrieval but only obliquely.  It does
not require that the access to the schema content is found by
retrieval.  As far as I udnerstand, what URIs or URI namespaces
resolve too is not part of RDF.

> My understanding of RDF Semantics is, that it does not require
> the existence of an RDF/XML document representing the URI, presumed
> in your first reference, when a URI#fragement is used in an RDF
> graph.

URI-refs in RDF do not require documents to exist (bits to be
returned when the URIs are resolved).  URI-refs in general do not
require this either.

Dave