Re: "Resource" (RDF vocabulary definitions)

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:09:55 +0000
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, Chris Catton <chris.catton@btopenworld.com>
Cc: seth <seth@robustai.net>, www-rdf-comments <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

Response not crossposted:

At 10:06 25/11/2002 +0000, Dave Beckett wrote:

[...]

> > Does this mean that if I represent a graph in rdf/xml inside an html
> > document by putting some triples inside rdf tags it has a completely
> > different meaning to a graph expressed in exactly the same way but
> served as
> > an .rdf document?

I said somthing like that once and Graham Klyne pointed out my error to me.

If I have some HTML containing say:

   <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/something#foo">

The issue here is about what http://example.org/something#foo names.  The
meaning of this is not dependent on the mimetype of the referring document,
e.g. text/html, but on the mime-type of the *retrieved* document.  The RDF
specs are saying that for determining the RDF meaning of this uriref, it is
the meaning that would be assigned by retrieving a document of mime-type
application/rdf+xml.

Embedding in a document of mime-type text/html does not affect this.