Re: The first sentence

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:23:29 -0500
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
CC: seth@robustai.net, "www-rdf-comments@w3.org" <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

Aaron Swartz wrote:

> On Monday, October 28, 2002, at 08:29 AM, Seth Russell wrote:
> > The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for
> > representing information on the Internet.
>
> What is "the Internet"? If I use RDF to transfer information over a
> crossover Ethernet cable on Mars, is that information "on the
> Internet"? How about:
>
> The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for representing
> information.
>
> That's not really true, though. It's not a language, it's a format, but
> really a framework. And it doesn't really represent information, it
> encodes it.

It certainly does!  And I defy you to decode it!

> The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is framework for describing
> resources.

Great!  What's the next sentence?  [If I could get funding for this
"sentence at a time" approach to writing our documents, I'd have steady
income until I retire!  Even worse:  if Aaron could get funding for this
approach, *he'd* have steady income until *he* retires!  But then we'd
probably both go crazy first;  toss you for it?]

--Frank