Re: Monotony

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:23:24 -0700
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: fmanola@mitre.org, "www-rdf-comments@w3.org" <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

pat hayes wrote:

>> In fact, I believe the case you are purporting as the most common
>> will actually be so rare, that there should be a prize given to the
>> designer of such an agent.
>

> Software agent technology is almost routine these days. Amusingly
> enough, I am typing this while sitting in a DAML PI meeting listening
> to a talk about a large-scale deployed military information system
> called SONAT which uses software agents to connect DAML ontologies and
> draw conclusions automatically. The field has got to the point where
> people are worrying about things like strategies for reconciling
> conflicting access policies between agents.
>
> (BTW, the Cmap tools (version 3) uses what is essentially agent
> technology under the hood in order to support real-time collaboration.)

Wooh!  I didnt mean to imply that heuristic search techniques like those
embedded in Prolog are not extremely useful for the semantic web.
 Rather I actually believe the opposite.   Unfortunately my scolorship
is deficient here, and I cannot tease apart those useful techniques from
the assumptions embedded in your semantic theories given the writings
that I can find on the web today.   So, shame-faced, I'll just retract
my alligation.

Seth Russell
http://radio.weblogs.com/0113759/