Re: Members of the rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty class

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 03:09:06 -0700
To: Nick Bassiliades <nbassili@csd.auth.gr>
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
>I would like to ask about the use of the class
>rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty class.
>In the RDF Schema document
>is mentioned that:
>>The rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty class has as members the
>>property rdfs:member and the properties _1, _2, _3 ... that can be
>>used to indicate membership of Bag, Seq and Alt containers.
>>rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty is a subclass of rdf:Property.
>>Each container membership property is a rdfs:subPropertyOf the
>>rdfs:member property.
>However, in the RDF Model Theory document
>the 2nd rule of the rdfs-closure of an RDF graph states that the
>following triples are true:
>>[rdf:_1] [rdf:type] [rdfs:Property] .
>>[rdf:_2] [rdf:type] [rdfs:Property] .
>>[rdf:_1] [rdfs:subPropertyOf] [rdfs:member] .
>>[rdf:_2] [rdfs:subPropertyOf] [rdfs:member] .
>However, since rdf:_XXX properties are members of the class
> rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty the first group
>of the above triples shouldn't better be as follows?
>[rdf:_1] [rdf:type] [rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty] .
>[rdf:_2] [rdf:type] [rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty] .

To the best of my recollection, the WG had decided to abandon
ContainerMembershipProperty, which is why I didn't use it. But I will
check to make sure. Certainly if it is still in the language then
your suggestion is a good one.

Pat Hayes
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax