Re: RDF Issue rdfs-clarify-subClass-and-instance

From: Piotr Kaminski <piotr@ideanest.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:49:39 -0700
To: Nick Bassiliades <nbassili@csd.auth.gr>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org

From: "Nick Bassiliades" <nbassili@csd.auth.gr>
> I would like to ask if it legal to transform the following set of
> triples that uses 2 rdf:type properties:
>
> A rdf:type rdfs:Class
> x rdf:type A
> x rdf:type rdfs:Class
>
> to the following set (which has just one rdf:type property):
>
> A rdf:type rdfs:Class
> A rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Class
> x rdf:type A

No, they don't mean the same thing.  If I add another triple:

y rdf:type A

then in the second model, I can also infer

y rdf:type rdfs:Class

while I can't do that in the first model.  In other words, as I keep telling
my students, classification and generalization are not the same.

(Note that you could also drop the first triple from both models since it's
redundant.)

        -- P.

--
  Piotr Kaminski <piotr@ideanest.com> http://www.ideanest.com
  It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance