Multiple occurence of rdfs properties

From: Nick Bassiliades <nbassili@csd.auth.gr>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:36:58 +0300
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

I would like to ask if there any constraints on the multiple occurence
(cardinality)
of rdf- and rdfs-defined properties about the same resource.

For example, the following properties are by-now widely known to have
multiple occurences:

rdf:type    (member of multiple class)
rdfs:subClassOf    (multiple inheritance - although I know that there is
really nothing inherited!)
rdfs:subPropertyOf    (a kind of multiple inheritance for properties)
rdfs:range, rdfs:domain    (restrictions of properties to members of
intersection of multiple classes)

Now, the following rdf and rdfs properties have not been extensively
discussed in the mailing lists and their
cardinality is not discussed in the RDF docs:

rdfs:label
rdfs:comment
rdfs:seeAlso   (its intuitive meaning calls for multiple-occurence
semantics)
rdfs:isDefinedBy
rdf:Value        (should occur once, but I may be missing something)
rdf:statement, rdf:predicate, rdf:object     (should occur once, for
each statement)

* Dr. Nick Bassiliades                                       *
* Programming Languages And Software Engineering (PLASE) Lab *
* Logic Programming and Intelligent Systems (LPIS) Group     *
* Dept. of Informatics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki *
* 54006 Thessaloniki, Greece                                 *
* Tel: +30310998418    E-mail: nbassili@csd.auth.gr          *
* Fax: +30310998419    URL:    http://www.csd.auth.gr/~nick  *