Re: RDF Issue rdfs-clarify-subClass-and-instance

>A minor nitpick:
>
>From: "pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>>  What makes something a class is just that it has some
>>  things in it (that is, in its extension)
>
>A class can have an empty extension.  If I say:
>
>pk:EmptyClass rdf:type rdfs:Class
>
>And there are no statements like this anywhere in my model:
>
>_:anything rdf:type pk:EmptyClass
>
>Then pk:EmptyClass still qualifies as a class, right?
>
>So I think it's more accurate (and perhaps simpler?) to say, just like in
>the Model Theory:
>
>A resource is a class if and only if it has rdf:type rdfs:Class (implicitly
>or explicitly).
>Every resource that is the object of an rdf:type statement is implicitly of
>rdf:type rdfs:Class.
>Any resource can be a class (implicitly, explicitly, or both).
>
>Of course, to make a coherent picture with extensions of rdfs:Class, we need
>to say that rdfs:subClassOf is transitive, etc.  But I think the rules above
>make a solid foundation for newcomers.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I forgot about empty classes. Sorry
if my email was misleading.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes