RE: Versioning removed from April 2002 RDFS WD

From: Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:05:17 +0100
To: "'Aaron Swartz'" <me@aaronsw.com>, <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

> [mailto:www-rdf-comments-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Aaron Swartz
> The best practice (IMO) is not to make semantic changes to
> deployed terms. But it's fine to add new terms, make textual
> changes to clarify things and fix typos.

I'm not sure about adding new terms, unless there's a protocol for
handling unknown input (and you'd have to ask, what would the difference
be between unknown and incorrect?). Your machine has the new term; mine
does not. Your machine's sending me this stuff mine doesn't understand.
But we're working both working off the same schema as far as the
versioning is concerned. Potentially, a new term is a breaking change.
For example, adding a new verb to HTTP without changing the version,
while not a change to the deployed terms, is a change to HTTP.

Bill de hÓra