Re: Input sought on datatyping tradeoff

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:57:04 -0500
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>I feel somewhat like the man who was asked if he was to be condemned
>to be executed whether he would like scrambled eggs or pancakes for
>breakfast before the execution.  After he replied ``Pancakes, of
>course'' he was told that then it would certainly be all right to
>execute him.
>We are being asked to pick between two choices that are only on the
>table because of various constraints imposed by not only XML and RDF
>but by the members of the RDF Core Working Group.  I have this
>uneasy feeling that the results of the poll will then be used to
>justify the constraints that are being discussed in the working
>group.  In this sort of situation it is only right to reject the

Look, the WG is only trying to get feedback from as wide as possible
a section of the user community in order to help it make a decision.
It has tried to make the decision itself and has found itself
deadlocked on which way to go. Under these circumstances, asking for
wider feedback seems a reasonable way to proceed. I see no reason why
you or anyone should feel uneasy at this decision being made in this
way. A decision has to be made, one way or the other.

Your response presumably means that you refuse to provide any input.
I take it, therefore, that you will not complain when your views,
whatever they happen to be, are not taken account of when the
decision is made.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax