Re: need to determine what RDF is

From: patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:57:01 -0500
To: "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>
Cc: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

>Seth:
>
>I still fail to see why it is important for us to classify entailments. It's
>just going to over complicate stuff needlessly.  If my agent knows the rules
>for rdfs:subClass, than it can arrive at legitimate entailments,
>
>Pat:
>
>There is no universal overriding notion of 'legitimate' entailment,  is why.
>I agree it complicates things, but I see no way around the  fact that life
>is complicated.
>
>Seth:
>
>Life is complicated, agreed.  Consider the graph:
>
><ex:Jane> <rdf:type> <ex:Woman>.
><ex:Woman> <rdfs:subClassOf> <ex:Human>.
><rdfs:subClassOf> <rdfs:comment>  "Indicates membership of a class".
><rdfs:subClassOf> <ex:rule>  "(=> (subClass ?SUBCLASS ?CLASS) (forall
>(?INST)   (=> (rdf:type ?INST ?SUBCLASS) (rdf:type ?INST ?CLASS))))".
>
>Given that graph, do you agree that some agent could calucate that
>"<ex:Jane> <rdf:type> <ex:Human>."   ??

An RDFS-aware agent could, and that only requires the first two
triples. The comments add nothing to the entailment.

>If so, then what kind of entailment is that, RDF, or RDFS, or is it EX, or
>is it RDF+EX+RDFS ?

RDFS (which includes RDF).

>  What are we to use that classification for?    In other
>words what is the actual utility of that kind of thinking?

The utility is that if I come across some published conclusions, I
want to be able to find out what methods were used to arrive at those
conclusions. If the thing that drew the conclusions advertises itself
as an RDFS agent/reasoner, then I will be most upset if I find that
it was using some inference method that is not RDFS valid. In fact, I
might sue whoever wrote it for breach of contract and false
advertising.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes