Re: need to determine what RDF is

>From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
>Subject: Re: need to determine what RDF is
>Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 17:34:33 +0100
>
>>  At 11:09 30/05/2002 -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>
>>  >The ``deep'' issue is that there continues to be claims that RDF
>>  >encompasses information not encoded in RDF graphs (or in RDF-defined
>>  >documents that can be transformed into RDF graphs).   The wording
>>  >associated with rdfs:comment appears to be capable of supporting this view,
>>  >although, as Pat Hayes has pointed out, it really does not.  I suppose that
>>  >this could be considered to be just wordsmithing, but wordsmithing taking
>>  >into account the implicit view of RDF.
>>
>>  One of the techniques we have found particularly useful in RDFCore has been
>>  reducing issues to one or more test cases.  Do you think it might be
>>  possible to create a test case for this issue.
>>
>>  I'm maybe beginning to get a glimmer of what the problem is, but I'm not
>>  sure.  Ramblings that are certainly technically incompetent but illustrate
>>  an idea follow.  I think I'm struggling to make more precise a phrase of
>>  Peter's "is not part of RDF".
>>
>>  Postulate the existence of Universal Entailment (since "RDF entailment"
>>  already means something else).  The Universal Entailment of an RDF graph is
>>  the graph which includes all the triples that a processor is entitled to
>>  conclude from the original graph.
>>
>>  I think Peter's position is that Universal Entailment contains only triples
>>  entailed by RDF(S) entailment.
>>
>>  Brian
>

>Here are two:

Here are two more:

Case 3:

<ex:peggy> <rdf:type> <ex:HumanBeing> .
<ex:Jane> <rdfs:comment> "Jane is a human being like Peggy" .

?universally-entail?

<ex:Jane> <rdf:type> <ex:HumanBeing> .

Case 4:

<ex:HumanBeing> <rdfs:comment> "ex:HumanBeing is the class of all
human beings." .
<ex:Jane> <rdfs:comment> "Jane is a human being" .

?universally-entail?

<ex:Jane> <rdf:type> <ex:HumanBeing> .

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes