Re: comments on the current clutch of working drafts

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: comments on the current clutch of working drafts
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 16:09:52 +0100

[...]

> > 3/ The semantic action for an empty subject on a nodeElement could be
> >    executed even for element nodes with an rdf:ID or rdf:about attribute.
> >    This is probably benign, but would cause the blank node identifier
> >    generator to be pointlessly run, resulting in distinct (but
> >    model-theory-equivalent) sets of n-triples resulting from a single
> >    RDF/XML document.
>
> I don't follow you here; can you expand?

In section 5.5, the actions for attributes can be done in any order.  So,
the third of these actions can be run first, even for nodeElements with an
rdf:ID attribute, because e.subject would not yet have been set.

[...]

> > 3. An XML Syntax for RDF

[...]

> > It is not possible to use namespaces for the URI labels for object nodes,
> > except (sometimes) for the labels of types.  In general, only edge labels
> > can employ namespaces.  This is illustrated in the example RDF/XML syntax,
> > which does not use namespaces for http://www.example.org/index.html.
>
> (XML) Namespaces are only in the RDF/XML syntax and not in the RDF
> graph.  The RDF graph uses URI-refs to label nodes, so graph edge labels
> cannot "use (XML) namespaces"
>
> I suspect you are getting at that in RDF/XML, XML qnames can only be
> used to label the RDF graph URIs, and cannot be used to label graph
> nodes?   If so I will try to fix in the syntax WD to make this clearer.

No.  The Primer sort of indicates that namespaces can be used in places
where they cannot, for example a value for rdf:ID.  It should be made very
clear that this is *not* allowed.  (Actually, it would be much better to
*allow* it, but that is not how RDF/XML works.)

[...]

peter