Re: N-Triples literals

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 02:00:44 +0100
To: "Karsten-A. Otto" <ottoka@cs.tu-berlin.de>
cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
>>>"Karsten-A. Otto" said:
> Hello,
> I noticed that the productions for literals in the N-Triples specification
> (RDF Test Cases, http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/) has been changed to
> allow xmlString and langstring. This should have a capital S by the way.

Ah yeah, the link label text is wrong.  Thanks for the catch

> I applaud the addition of a language tag in the langString production,
> which in my opinion greatly increases the expressiveness of N-Triples.

I considered it crucial.  RDF M&S hinted at this but we are now
making it clearer where language appears in the RDF graph -
part of the literal.  We do need to improve this and will be making
further clarifications of the RDF graph.

> However, I do not quite understand what xmlString is supposed to be for.
> Is this for parseType=Literal cases? Please add some explanations for
> these new literal variants.

Yes, that is exactly what it is for - XML literal content, generated
by that form.  See the tests for rdfms-xmllang and
rdfms-literal-is-xml-structure for the examples of where it is used.
See them below: http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/

This stuff is/will be folded into the RDF primer and syntax docs in
due course.  See
and follow the threads.

You can track where I've got to in the draft syntax wd at