Re: Broken n-triples in primer

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 09:38:25 +0100
To: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
cc: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>, fmanola <fmanola@mitre.org>, em@w3.org, www-rdf-comments <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
> From: "Aaron Swartz" <me@aaronsw.com>
> > But N-Triples can't have line breaks in the middle of a statement.
>
> Good point.  Is it too late to allow line breaks in the middle of N-Triple
> statements?  Me thinks that is it wierd and contra productive to exclude
> them.  Most program code will be simpler if they were allowed ... also
> descriptions like in the Primer will be

Since I'm the N-Triples editor, I'll answer

It is not too late but it is simpler with a line based format than
having to read lots of lines to find the terminator.  The test for me
is that N-Triples works the way it is now, for the purpose it was
designed - test cases for RDF Core implementations and connecting the
model and syntax, other work together.  At this stage in our work,
N-Triples changes only when it needs to, in order to meet
requirements for testing purposes.

> Incidentaly what does the 'N' in 'N-Triples' stand for ?  Me thinks this
> format would be better just called 'Triples'.

N is from N3.  But Triples would be less unique and distinctive and
there is also an RDF system called Triple that it would be confused
with I suspect.

Dave