Re: Dark triples, motivating examples

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:09:29 -0400
To: "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
>From: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
>
>>  >I fail to see how the triple refered to by a reification quad is *not*
>dark
>>  >in the graph which contains it.  For example:
>>  >
>>  >In a graph containing this reification quad:
>>  >
>>  >_:1 rdf:type rdf:Statement.
>>  >_:1 rdf:subject foo:S.
>>  >_:1 rdf:predicate foo:V.
>>  >_:1 rdf:object foo:O.
>>  >
>>  >The triple:
>>  >
>>  >foo:S foo:V foo:O.
>>  >
>>  >Is *certainly* dark.
>>
>>  Well, its not even there, so I would say the questions of its
>>  darkness or lightness don't even arise.
>
>Point taken.   I'm just trying to figure out if we can consider the RDF
>reification quad to be a dark triple relative to the document (graph) in
>which that quad exists .... or not?  Seems to me that you are stopping short
>of actually saying that .... why?

Er...because it would be false? Look, a dark triple is supposed to be
a triple which IS PRESENT in an RDF graph, but for some reason isn't
being asserted there. So a triple which isn't even in the graph can't
be said to be 'dark' in any useful sense.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes