Re: RDF Issue: mime-types-for-rdf-docs

On 2002-04-08 07:43 AM, "Garret Wilson" <garret@globalmentor.com> wrote:

> Has there been any thought of making a
> similar recommendation ("application/...+rdf+xml") for specific
> applications of RDF? For instance, this would
> allow "application/pics+rdf+xml", "application/xpackage+rdf+xml",
> and "application/annotea+rdf+xml".

Hi Garret. I initially thought this would be useful but soon changed my mind
because:

A) there was apparently a lot of resistance to +xml, and friends in the IETF
thought that out chances of getting +rdf+xml were pretty slim

B) RDF/XML allows for any type of format to be included, so there's no need
for different content-types or content-negotiation -- you can just put all
of your triples in one document

B part 2) subsets of RDF/XML with syntax restrictions (like RSS 1.0) aren't
really RDF and should get their own +xml mime type like rss+xml. Hm, this
isn't the best solution. Maybe a Media Feature might be better for this sort
of thing.

All the best,
--
      "Aaron Swartz"      |               Swhack Weblog
 <mailto:me@aaronsw.com>  |   <http://blogspace.com/swhack/weblog/>