Re: refactoring RDF/XML Syntax

On Monday, October 15, 2001, at 11:53  PM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> Still, if the concept of a "container" is eliminated, wouldn't
> this be a
> change to the specification? Even as a clarification? I realize
> that the
> syntax is, itself, backwards compatible -- but a change in
> understanding is
> still a change to the specification.

We're not eliminating the "concept of a 'container'", simply its
special place in the syntax. Users are still free to use
containers in their RDF documents, and RDF Core will release a
spec that describes them.

> Will the clarification of the concept of "containers" be
> included in a new
> release of the specification? Or as some form of an addendum,
> or something
> along these lines?

The Working Group has not decided on this yet, but I think it's
likely that we'll release an "RDF Tools" sort of spec that
defines containers, reification, etc.

> Do you see a M & S 1.1 in the next year?

I think we'll definitely see some more specs from the WG, but I
don't think we plan to replace Model & Syntax. I see our work
more along the lines of a "Second Edition" of RDF -- going back
and clarifying things that caused problems for developers -- not
coming out with a new version. I also hope that the we split out
the RDF Model from the RDF Syntax, the separate release of the
RDF Model Theory and the RDF/XML Syntax specs is the first step
in that process.

Thanks for your feedback and feel free to send more comments and
suggestions,