Re: RDF Model Theory Working Draft: Comment

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Pat Hayes wrote:

> You wrote (in reply to Graham Klyne):

>> What is unclear in the draft, however, is the provenance of the 'E'
>> in I(E) - the denotation rules canvass literals, urirefs *and*, lo
>> and behold, triples analysed in terms of all three parts [...]
>
> I am not entirely sure what you mean by the "provenance of the 'E' in
> I(E)"; E here is a variable used in the document itself to indicate
> any well-formed 'piece' of RDF which is assigned a value in an
> interpretation.

Yes, that's what it looked like.  Only that the E rather abruptly
appeared for the first time in the enumeration of denotation cases.
That is, something to the effect "For each E that is a well-formed
'piece' etc etc" before the table would have helped.  [Perhaps it
could be added to the explication of interpretations I?  eg. after the
definition, "By I(E) we will mean the interpretation of E where E will
be any well-formed 'piece' etc. etc".]

> Each case is stated (I hope)  reasonably clearly, along the lines
> "If E is a node then...". If you find any ambiguities please let
> me know.

No ambiguity, just that a statement of why these cases exhaust the
ones of interest would seem more complete.

> PS: It seems clear from your messages that, having misunderstood the
> intended notion of RDF graph, you are working with a different
> notion.  Much of the model theory and indeed the entire RDF document
> corpus will be incomprehensible if read in your way, however, so I
> would urge you to re-think things more long the lines suggested in
> the RDF M&S,

Truth be told, I'm just observing.  I already know what I'd like to
see ain't gonna happen.

Arjun