Re: Comments on the ntriples syntax

From: Art Barstow <barstow@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:13:01 -0400
To: Louis Theran <theran@cs.umass.edu>
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 05:00:28PM -0400, Louis Theran wrote:

> As described by http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-rdf-testcases-20010912/,
> the ntriples syntax seems designed to discourage automated testing.
> ntriples is  supposed to enable a ``set of machine-processable test
> cases corresponding to technical issues addressed by the WG.'' If
> this is really the case, then comments, variable amounts of
> whitespace and multiple kinds of line separators aren't appropriate,
> since the best oracle for automated compatibility testing is straight
> byte comparison (e.g., UNIX cmp).

A problem with straight byte comparison is that it won't
handle bNodes (aka anonymous nodes). N-Triples does not
define how a processor will generate the name part of a
bNode.  I expect graph matching programs, such as cwm [1] or
Euler [2], to be useful in determining if two sets of N-Triples
are equivalent.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/
[2] http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/

However, I think the WG should consider adding a simple graph
comparison algorithm in future revisions of this WD.

Art Barstow
---