Re: The RDF Identification Problem

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:47:28 -0500
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
On Sunday, September 2, 2001, at 02:44  PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>> On Friday, August 31, 2001, at 10:36  AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>>
>>> RFC 2616 says that HTTP URIs denote "network
>>> data objects or services" (not people).
>>
>> Umm, no, I don't think it does. It says that:
>>     The "http" scheme is used to locate network resources via the HTTP
>>     protocol.
>>
>> and that a network resource is:
>>        A network data object or service that can be identified by
>> a URI[...]
>>
>> But I don't think it ever says that these HTTP URIs denote these
>> network data objects, merely that they are used to locate them
>> (which sounds pretty reasonable to me).
>
> I don't really know what you're trying to say here.   I think the word
> "resource" generally clouds these issues more than it clarifies it.

My only point was that you made a misleading (and I think
incorrect statement) about HTTP URIs -- I don't disagree about
the example in the RDF spec.

I totally understand about the RDF identification problem, and
think that it's an issue that seriously needs to be resolved.

However, if you insist that 'RFC 2616 says that HTTP URIs denote
"network data objects or services" (not people).' then I have a
real problem.