Comments on WD-rdf-testcases-20010912

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:28:03 +0200
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
Cc: barstow@w3.org, dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk
Hi,

   I wonder why the working drafts doesn't reference RFC 2396 for the
absoluteURI syntax and instead uses a very loose syntax definition with
incompatible character escape sequences. The [CHARMOD] requires
specifications to specify that URIs are escaped like

  http://www.hoehrmann.invalid/~bj%C3%B6rn/

but the RDF Test Cases WD implies, one should use

  http://www.hoehrmann.invalid/~bj\uF6rn/

or

  http://www.hoehrmann.invalid/~bj\u00F6rn/

The specification should clearly state that four characters must follow
the \u and eight characters the \U. I don't see any good reason why \U
is defined for

  [[#x10000-#xFFFFFFFF]

(note the unmatched bracket) instead of ...-#x10FFFF, Unicode doesn't
define anything above. The \U should IMO only require six hex digits
instead of eight, otherwise authors have always to specify two
superflous zero digits. I would recommend a more perlish approach for \u
and \U in general, i.e. use \u{ <one to six hex digits> } in place of
them.

I _really_ wonder why #20, #3C and #3E should be additionally allowed
for absoluteURIs. They have to be URI-escaped, the WD implies I should
use

  http://www.example.org/test\u0020case/

instead of

  http://www.example.org/test%20case/

That's IMO pure nonsense.

The reference to Python string literals should be removed, I don't care
about Python string literals and they are of no relevance here.

I don't see no need for the trailing '.' character required for each
n-triple line.

[CHARMOD] - http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod

regards,