Re: New syntax spec

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:17:49 +1000
To: "www-rdf-comments" <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
 From: "Dave Beckett" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>

> propertyAttr is always used in the same form.  In typedNode
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20010906/#typedNode
>
> it used like this:
>  [attributes]=set(idAboutAttr?, bagIdAttr?, propertyAttr*),
>
> i.e the propertyAttr term can be repeated 0 or more times.  Each of
> these propertyAttr uses can be either a typeAttr or propAttr.  I
> think this does not restrict the use of multiple rdf:type properties
> and/or other namespaced properties in any way.   Does that make sense?

Yes.

But surely that is wrong, because
   [attributes]=set(idAboutAttr?, bagIdAttr?, propertyAttr*)
then expands to
   [attributes]=set(idAboutAttr?, bagIdAttr?, (typeAttr | propAttr)*)
which, allowing multiple typeAttr, is impossible?

An XML element can only have one attribute with a single name***

Do you mean this:
   [attributes]=set(idAboutAttr?, bagIdAttr?, typeAttr?, propAttr* )

Also, I think by "any" namespace you always mean "any except RDF".
And does this syntax exhaust the RDF namespace?

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

*** Actually, one could think of getting around this using
  <x  xmlns:r1="namespace for rdf" xmlns:r2="namespace for rdf"
        r1:type=" ..." r2:type="..." />
but Namespace in XML explicitly disallows this in 5.3 "Uniqueness of Attributes"
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/