refactoring RDF/XML Syntax

From: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@theburningbird.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:53:36 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
Cc: shelleyp@burningbird.net
I understand the interest in improving the RDF syntax, but I'm confused as to the
process the working group is taking.

Wouldn't the process of updating or modifying a released specification be to start a
new release version of the specification? In other words, since the RDF Model and
Syntax are currently a W3C initial recommendation, wouldn't new effort that actually
makes modification to this specification be release 1.1, or even perhaps 2.0? This
isn't errata -- this effort is a redesign of parts of the specification.

I can't help thinking that incorporating these changes into a new release of the
specification provides some stability in your process, as well as decreases
confusion; folks will reference a specific release when discussing a certain feature
of the RDF syntax.

I am in the process of using RDF for a couple of specific production issues, and
modifications to an existing release make it difficult for me to sell the use of RDF
to management. However, work on a new release is pretty standard for a W3C working
group and doesn't generate quite the same concern.

Regards,

Shelley Powers