Re: Tracking RDF standard

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 09:49:53 -0400 (EDT)
To: Rick Parrish <rfmobile@swbell.net>
cc: <mozilla-rdf@mozilla.org>, <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>, <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>

(+cc:www-rdf-comments, dave beckett)

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Rick Parrish wrote:

> This is probably way too early to ask but ...
>
> What are plans to update mozilla's RDF tools to
> conform to the newest working draft?
>
> [ *poof* Alt, Bag, and Seq are gone! ]
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/

I can't speak for the Moz-hacking folks, but I can say a bit about the RDF
Core WG and in particular this decision.

First up, there's no need for panic! RDF still has
Alt, Bag and Seq; the only difference is that the special casing they
received in the RDF XML grammar is no longer considered necessary.

This suits the current Mozilla implementation rather well actually: Moz
shoves an rdf:about attribute on Bags, Seqs etc because it likes to
specify URIs to name containers. The original RDF Model+Syntax spec
doesn't let you do this, really; this means that if you want to treat this
Mozilla dialect of RDF as legal RDF, you have to consider things like <Seq
rdf:about="some-uri">... as matching the typedNode production in the RDF
grammar. Since the new RDF draft treats all rdf:Seq/Alt/Bag as simply more
typed nodes (albeit with a bit of magic for interpreting rdf:li), I don't
think this will be a problem for Mozilla.

Dan