Re: Relative Namespace URIs

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 22:38:52 -0500
Cc: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
On Friday, July 13, 2001, at 07:45  AM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> May it be appropriate for the working group to remind the RDF
> community that
> this applies to future use of namespaces in RDF documents?

I'm not completely certain it does as RDF uses relative URIs
extensively and makes it clear how to deal with relative
namespaces (i.e. resolve them based on the base URI).

While I'd certainly prefer that the XML Namespaces spec had
chosen to use URIs rather than URI-references, and I agree that
it's probably best practice to use absolute URI-references,
there is certainly a well-defined way of dealing with relative
ones.

--
       "Aaron Swartz"      |              The Semantic Web
  <mailto:me@aaronsw.com>  |  <http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-long>