forest grammar/tree regular expression for RDF

From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:17:27 -0400
To: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
I hope the RDFCore WG will consider the forest grammar/tree regular
expression as a specification of the formal RDF XML syntax. The unordered
nature of RDF is best described as a forest grammar and this presents
difficulties for traditional XML schema languages such as DTDs.

I have specified this as a RELAXNG schema for RDF
http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/RDF1.rng in terms of solidifying the RDF XML
syntax under the issue:
http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-formal-grammar

An advantage of specifying the grammar in this language is that it has a
good formal semantics which is based on the formal semantics of XDuce.
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~hahosoya/xduce/ . Note that the XML Schema
formalism in http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-formal appears to be based on
XDuce as well which is referenced.

Because I realize the politics around RELAXNG, I have converted this to the
language used by XDuce and by the XML Schema Formalism:
http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/RDFSyntaxFormal.

It is really quite simple.

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group