Re: is rdfs:domain useful as currently defined?

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:28:51 -0400
To: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
I would like to reinforce Ralph's mild comments more stongly.

The current wording implies that the subject of a property
can be in *any* class for which rdfscr:domain(p,s) applies.
What can one tell from the assertion rdfscs:domain(p,a)?
Nothing.
You know that the real:domain of p is some superset of s.
In other words, there is some class t where subset(s,t)
and real:domain(p,s).

However, the universal set is always a superset of s and
also is always a real:domain of p in the sense that anything
which is the subject of p must be in the universal set.

So this condidtion is always true, so we have learned nothing.

Put another way "may be" does not translate into logic.

Tim BL