Uniqueness of resource identifiers

From: Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:53:04 +0100
To: RDF comments <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
Folks,

It appears to me that when 'ID=...' is used to name an RDF resource, the
URI reference thus defined for that resource is not uniquely determined if
the enclosing document is mirrored or otherwise accessible using different
URIs.

RDF M&S section 6 describes forming the URI for an 'ID=' from the base URI
of the containing document.

I assume that the base URI is determined per RFC 2396, section 5.1.  Absent
an explicit base URI in the RDF or encapsulating document, this is
specified to be the URI used to retrieve the entity containing the RDF
descriptions.  If there are several such URIs that can be used, then the
defined RDF resources may be differently identified.

#g
Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)