rdf:resource="..." vs. resource="..."

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 05:12:05 -0500
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
I'm working on an XSLT-base RDF parser[1]. I got thru
2.2.1. Basic Serialization Syntax just fine, including:

  [9] resourceAttr   ::= 'resource="' URI-reference '"'

	-- http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222

but then in 2.2.2. Basic Abbreviated Syntax I see this example
using rdf:resource=, rather than resource=:

  <rdf:RDF>
    <rdf:Description about="http://www.w3.org/Home/Lassila">
      <s:Creator rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/staffId/85740"/>
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description about="http://www.w3.org/staffId/85740">
      <v:Name>Ora Lassila</v:Name>
      <v:Email>lassila@w3.org</v:Email>
    </rdf:Description>
  </rdf:RDF>

Is this supposed to give the same model as:
      <s:Creator resource="http://www.w3.org/staffId/85740"/>
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description about="http://www.w3.org/staffId/85740">
      <v:Name>Ora Lassila</v:Name>
      <v:Email>lassila@w3.org</v:Email>
    </rdf:Description>
  </rdf:RDF>

or as:
        <rdf:Description resource="http://www.w3.org/staffId/85740"/>
      </s:Creator>
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description about="http://www.w3.org/staffId/85740">
      <v:Name>Ora Lassila</v:Name>
      <v:Email>lassila@w3.org</v:Email>
    </rdf:Description>
  </rdf:RDF>

If so, where is this specified? I looked hard, and I can't find it.

If this idiom is intended to be a consequence of using XML namespaces,
	http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114
it's not. See the last example under 5.3 Uniqueness of Attributes
in particular.

See also:

Myth #4: Unprefixed attribute names are in XML namespaces
http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/03/08/namespaces/myth1.html

The same comment applies to about, ID, bagID, aboutEach,
aboutEachPrefix,
type, and perhaps the _1, _2, ... attributes.

I suggest you define the general case to be the rdf:resource case,
and specify that for rdf:Description, an unprefixed attribute
called resource should be treated as rdf:resource.

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/2000/04rdf-parse/rdfp.xsl