rdfs:Literal - Error in RDF Schema!

From: Karsten Tolle <Storr@t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:22:58 +0100
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, christop@ics.forth.gr
Hi,

in the RDF Schema (http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-rdf-schema/) I found rdfs:Literal in
Figure 1 and Figure 2 just as an rdfs:Resource. In the 'Basic XML Serialization'
rdfs:Literal is a class (type = rdfs:Class) and in the 'Compact XML
Serialization' rdfs:Literal is a class and additional is defined as a sub class
of rdfs:Resource.

So, the question what is rdfs:Literal.

It represents the set of atomic values, e.g. textual strings and so on. Classes
representing sets, so, I think it is right to say that rdfs:Literal is a class,
especially because rdfs:Literal is used for the rdfs:range definitions of
rdfs:comment and rdfs:label and the range of rdfs:range is rdfs:Class.

If rdfs:Literal is a sub class of rdfs:Resource this would mean that the
instances of rdfs:Literal are also instances of rdfs:Resource, but a textual
string has no URI and is no resource.

Therefore I prefer the version of the 'Basic XML Serialization' that says
rdfs:Literal is a class but not a sub class of rdfs:Resource.

Greetings,
Karsten