Use of "about" in RDF-Schema?

From: Karsten Tolle <tolle@csi.forth.gr>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:05:30 +0300 (EET DST)
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
Hi,

fist of all there seems to be an error in the "Compact XML Serialization"
of the "RDF-Schema":

<rdf:Property ID="label"
        rdfs:Label="label"

it should be: rdfs:label="label"
(this error is also in the machine readable description of the RDF schema)

But my main question is about the way the attribute "about" is used in the
RDF-Schema Compact XML Serialization.

e.g. ... <rdfs:Class about="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Statement" ...

For me this would mean: The attribute (in this case "about") will inherit the
namespace of the tag name. So, we would have rdfs:about and not
rdf:about.
On the other hand there is:

... <rdfs:Class rdf:ID="Literal" ...

Is there any reason to treat the attributes "ID" and "about" in different ways?

Greetings
Karsten