RDF and Resources

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:21:23 -0500
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org, xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
RDF's definition of resource seems to be incompatible with the URI
specification that it references:

> All things being described by RDF expressions are called resources.
> A resource may be an entire Web page; such as the HTML document
> "http://www.w3.org/Overview.html" for example. A resource may be a
> part of a Web page; e.g. a specific HTML or XML element within the
> document source. A resource may also be a whole collection of pages;
> e.g. an entire Web site. A resource may also be an object that is
> not directly accessible via the Web; e.g. a printed book. Resources
> are always named by URIs plus optional anchor ids (see [URI]).

According to RFC 2396, a resource is something addressable by a URI
(without fragment identifier) -- a complete HTML or XML document, not a
part of it.

Also, I find it interesting to note that RDF does not seem to be able to
attach metadata to components of things that are not XML: frames of a
video, records in a database, paragraphs in a Word document and so forth.
We need the ability to do so.

"Silence," wrote Melville, "is the only Voice of God." The assertion,
like its subject, cuts both ways, negating and affirming, implying both
absence and presence, offering us a choice; it's a line that the Society
of American Atheists could put on its letterhead and the Society of
Friends could silently endorse while waiting to be moved by the spirit
to speak. - Listening for Silence by Mark Slouka, Apr. 1999, Harper's