Re: Are duplicate property/value pairs permitted for a resource?

From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 17:43:02 -0400
To: Samuel Yang <syang@peoplemoverinc.com>
CC: "'www-rdf-comments@w3.org'" <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
Samuel Yang wrote:

> (To those interested in following this thread, I will post my future

I have cut back accordingly.

> John,
>
> I disagree.  RDF is a way to specify just "facts".  If "app2" wants to state
> that it believes that (#A, #B, "2") is true, it needs to state that as a
> reified Statement, as specified in section 4 of the RDF Model & Syntax Spec.

[example snipped]

Quite so; that is how an agent registers its *belief* that S,
where S is some sentence.  The problem is what happens when
two different agents have contradictory *facts*.   One of them
is wrong, obviously, but there is no definition about what RDF
does in such circumstances.

This is why I say that the semantics of deletion matters.
What does it mean to remove a statement from the database
of RDF facts?  There is no notion in RDF of *authoritative*
claims, and probably there should be.