Subject: Re: comments on RDF draft 8 Oct 1998: no abbreviated syntax

Jim,

Thank you for your comments regarding the RDF Model and Syntax
specification.

Without some abbreviations, many metadata communities will invent
their own syntax.... which we consider to be beneficial to avoid.
Additionally, the abbreviated syntax is needed to permit embedding in
HTML without affecting the rendering.

Sincerely,

Ralph Swick, W3C Metadata Activity Leader
Eric Miller, Bob Schloss, RDF Model and Syntax Chairs

> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:33:12 PDT
> To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
> From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
> Subject: comments on RDF draft 8 Oct 1998: no abbreviated syntax
>
> I strongly disagree with having an abbreviated syntax.  This doubles
the
> work for every application, since it has to process both forms.  What
is
> the benefit?  Is this intended to make it easier for human being to
enter?
> To reduce the number of bytes on the wire?  You do say in 2.2.2 that
it
> allows certain well-structured XML DTDs to be directly interpreted at
RDF,