Hierarchical structures in RDF schemas

From: Jane Hunter <jane@dstc.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 09:46:44 +1000
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

Dear All,

I'm currently trying to define an RDF schema for a representing hierarchical
video metadata.

I have a top level class called "VideoDoc" and then subclasses of VideoDoc
called "Sequence", "Scene", "Frame", "Object".

I have created a property "contains". I would like to specify that VideoDocs
can only contain Sequences, Sequences only contain Scenes, Scenes only contain
Frames and Frames only contain Objects. Although a property can have multiple
domains, it can have only one range e.g.

<rdf:PropertyType ID="contains"
   <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#VideoDoc">
   <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#Sequence">
</rdfs:PropertyType>

Is there any way of defining this multilayered structure without using multiple
contains properties i.e. contains_sequences, contains_scenes, contains_frames
etc. which is tedious and repetitive?

I would appreciate your views on how best to do this.

Regards,
Jane Hunter
| Dr Jane Hunter                   | Senior Research Scientist             |
| DSTC Pty Ltd                     | Distributed Systems Technology CRC    |
| Level 7, General Purpose South   | Tel   : +61 7 3365 4310               |
| The University of Queensland     | Fax   : +61 7 3365 4311               |
| Queensland 4072, Australia       | Email : jane@dstc.edu.au              |
| http://www.dstc.edu.au/RDU/staff/jane-hunter.html                        |