Re: RDF vCard effort related to RDF iCalendar

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 15:22:47 -0300
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: RDF Calendar <www-rdf-calendar@w3.org>

Dan Connolly wrote:
> At a glance... I don't see anything about the relationship
> of the work you've done to the RDF calendar test suite.
> Am I missing it? Can you help me find it?

I unfortunately haven't yet looked in depth at the existing iCalendar
documents for three reasons. First, I couldn't find any comprehensive
document describing the entire iCalendar ontology in RDF. Secondly, my
foremost concern was vCard; iCalendar is of interest to me only in the
future.

Mostly importantly is that I decided, because I was creating a
specification based upon the interrelation among directory, vCard, and
iCalendar (and this doesn't seem to have been done before), I might as
well create it from scratch the way (I think) it should be done, and
then compare notes---which is what I'm doing now.

Taking this comprehensive approach has been productive. For example,
although iCalendar calls PERIOD a specialized value type (for which
normally one would create a typed literal), I've found that it is better
modeled as an RDF class on its own, allowing the icalendar:duration
property to re-use the iCalendar duration datatype. Another benefit has
been the recognition that UTC-OFFSET is inconsistent between vCard and
iCalendar; I've chosen the vCard syntax, as it more closely follows
xsd:dateTime.

> Also, are you familiar with the change policy
> for the http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal namespace?

I had seen that section before; why?

By the way, where is this iCalendar schema that I keep seeing mention of?

Garret