Re: Date format for Dubiln Core

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 04:42:15 +0100, Doug Royer <Doug@Royer.com> wrote:

> In your issues list, you say:
>
>  > Are times necessary? The purpose of the draft is to enable data
>  > recorde using this profile to state conformance to this specification.
>  > Best practice is to use a more flexible method of recording dates,
>  > such as Date Time Format [DTF], so unless there are existing uses of
>  > the profile to record date/times they are not necessary. Disallowing
>  > Time would mean no need for timezones, which makes things simpler.
>
> Why would a DATE without time not need a timezone?

Technically, of course, dates do need timezones. (Hejri dates need even
more complex timezone-equivalents, but that's on my todo list for when I
have the simple stuff figured. There are a few other things I want to get
done before I tackle something so challenging).

But this specification is meant only to cover existing usage, with more
precision that "it's ISO 8601 conformant". I would be VERY surprised if
existing usage did not include the use of times but did add timezone
information.

(In other words, I don't expect the data to be really good. I am
half-hoping they will be bad enough that I can drop the whole time thing,
since it adds a fair amount of complexity).

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                     chaals@opera.com