Re: [Ietf-calsify] VTIMEZONE - replacement idea (fwd)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:24:29 -0500
To: Libby Miller <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: www-rdf-calendar@w3.org, Ietf-calsify@osafoundation.org

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 02:43, Libby Miller wrote:
> from the new icalendar mailing list.

Have you told them about our repository of timezone data in XML?
 http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/#tzd

Would you please? If not you, is anybody else watching both lists?

Hmm... I think I'll just cross-post and hope for the best...

Doug Royer wrote:
> My idea is to deprecate the VTIMEZONE object in VCALENDAR objects

I must say that seems like a strange thing to do, just when the
various tools are starting to get it right. The spec for VTIMEZONE
seems like a pretty good match for the widely-deployed Olsen
timezone database. It's maybe slightly hairier than it
needs to be, in theory; I can imagine pruning the allowed
RRULE constructs a bit. But in practice, it seems to work
nicely.