Re: opening hours RDF cal use case

* Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org> [2003-03-12 12:28-0500]

> (I was going to talk about this in the IRC chat but I figured an
> email might be a bit more coherent)
>
> RDF calendar for small business opening hours Use Case
>
> I think Greg Fitzpatrick has done a lot of thinking on this topic. I don't
> have a handy pointer to prior writeups though.
>
> I understand the RDF calendar vocab at http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/
> now has a representation of recurring events. Here's a use case that
> emphasises RDF's strong points: data mixing.
>
> I would like to use RDF calendar 'recurring events' to represent opening
> hours of shops and other services. In particular I'm interested in using the
> Semantic Web to support local small businesses, by mixing descriptions of
> their opening hours with other useful information: homepage of shop,
> opening hours, contact info, photograph of premises, lat/lang/alt location
> information, some indication of product lines and individual items for sale.
>
> I think I've a handle on how to do most everything except the calendar stuff.
>
> Here's an example, any help with expressing their opening hours in RDF
> would be greatly appreciated!
>
> http://www.tuftslife.com/dining/menuview.php?ID=00029&pg=4
> (from a restaurant info aggregator)
>
> This lists the menus and other info for local restaurants here in
> Somerville, MA USA.  The menus are currently images of paper menus, so
> there is scope for progress there. See also http://chefmoz.org/rdf.html
> for more RDF/food work.
>
> The bit I'm currently interested in is this:
>
> It says, 'Currently [OPEN]', based on info about opening hours. Their
> summary for the 'Urban Gourmet' place around the corner from here:
>
> 	[[
> 	Monday      Closed
> 	Tuesday      4:00pm - 11:00pm
> 	Wednesday      11:30am - 11:00pm
> 	Thursday      11:30am - 11:00pm
> 	Friday      11:30am - 11:00pm
> 	Saturday      11:30am - 11:00pm
> 	Sunday      11:30am - 11:00pm
> 	]]
>
> So longwinded question unpacked: how do I express this in RDF? Can we
> use recurrence rules expressed over ical in RDF as the basis? Is extra
> vocab needed?
>
> thanks for any suggestions,

Martijn van Beers ('LotR' in irc logs) created this .ics representation:

 From: "LotR" at 212.83.72.215

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20030101T160000
DTEND:20030101T230000
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=TU
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20030101T113000
DTEND:20030101T230000
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=WE,TH,FR,SA,SU
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

(see See http://ilrt.org/discovery/chatlogs/rdfig/2003-03-12#T17-43-54 IRC logs)

Next job is to RDFize this.
I think the RDF cal view should be simple, and the tricky thing
will be doing the modeling to link it to more social notions like 'shop'
and 'open' vs 'closed'...

Dan