Re: Question/Anomaly regarding LOCATION in iCal

Howdy Terry,

Terry Payne wrote:
> Gary,
> 	Thanks for the response - you've just made me realise that I
> kinda made a mistake, though actually the problem remains.  If you use
> an XML only representation then what you describe makes sense.  When I
> took a second look at the ontology I realised that I'd mixed up
> "properties" and "parameters"; LOCATION is an iCalendar:Property,
> whereas ALTREP and LANGUAGE are iCalendar:parameters.
>
> So they are different... or rather not.  I checked the definition of
> Parameter and Property within the iCalendar ontology, and both are
> derived as subclasses of rdfs:Property.
They are different as far as ICalendar is concerned.

> So my two questions to the community remain:
>  * is it valid within RDF to have a property of a property?
I don't know about within RDF.

I just looked briefly at rfc2445 and could not find where a property could have a property. I think it would be invalid.

>  * as the range of LOCATION, should the ontology refer to a TEXT concept
> or a GEO concept (or both - currently it only refers to TEXT)?
LOCATION and GEO are both properties. A location's value can be TEXT.

NOTE xCal is still draft. It will be an XML representation of iCal. I suggest using rfc2445/iCal when building anything based on the calendar standards.

and

Your example has
  <ical:LOCATION> TCSEQ Center</ical:LOCATION>
The xCal draft uses lowercase. How about
  <ical:location> TCSEQ Center</ical:location>
if you want to be based on xCal.
Gary