RE: RDF semantics, access control description and timeranges

At 10:17 AM 12/15/02 -0500, Geoff Chappell wrote:
>Don't these problems only arise when you assume defaults based upon the
>absence of information? You really don't have the right to assume that a
>missing util:minute value means that the value is 0, do you?

Yes, I agree... (unless, perhaps, there is other information present from
which you could infer such a value.)

The difficulty then is that one has to decide up-front (i.e. when defining
a vocabulary) how much precision is to be required if splitting out the
different units as separate properties.  I think goes against many
intuitive approaches to representing information.  E.g. you can't treat a
VEVENT as a structure that can be extended/refined by adding yet more
information:  each property you add should  in some sense increase the
number of temporal situations thus described.  It did occur to me that this
is an argument for sticking with the ISO-based string representation of times.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>