Re: RDF calendar schemas

Some of this stuff is already modelled in SMIL which is about specifying
relative timing, including some support for talking about what to do when
there is slippage, and some concept of "absolute time", such as the use of
seconds.

My original goal was to produce something that allowed for relative timing,
on the basis that it is relatively easy to include one (or more) "absolute"
time references to relate to.

I agree that this is not the simplest approach, but it seemed the most
interesting. In part because I am concerned with historical time a lot, where
counting back seconds is just as likely to make things wrong as right, due to
shifts in calendars and so on.

cheers

Charles

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Geoff Chappell wrote:

  > sub events
  >
  > Finally, I found it very useful in modelling the XMLEurope data to have
  > the notion of one event being contained within another. For example,
  > a track is a kind of event which might be spread over one or more days
  > at a conference, which contains various presentations, also events. Or
  > is a track is too broad for you, a session might contain more than one
  > event, and may plausibly be considered an event in itself. The
  > vaclendar is a container for events as I see it. We'd still need an RDF
  > property to indicate somehow that there was more data about the event
  > available (maybe rdf:seealso would do?).
  >
  > Does this make sense?
  >
  > cheers
  >
  > Libby

  You could accomplish this also if you had the ability to constrain event
  start/end times relative to other events start/end times (or to absolute
  times).

  For example:
      session1 start time: 10:00 am
      session1 end time:  (= session1 start + 8 hours)

      event 1 start time: ( = session1 start)
      event 1 end time: (=event1 start + 1 hr)

      event 2 start time: (= event1 end)
      event 2 end time: (= event2 start + 1 hr)

  You can imagine other types of constraints...

      event 7 start time: (= event 6 end time)
      event 7 end time: (>= event 7 start time + 1 hr) and (< session1 end
  time)

  ...that could provide the basis for at least some limited automated
  scheduling.

  Have constraints of this nature been discussed at all (or are they already
  supported in iCal)?

  Regards,

  Geoff Chappell